Thursday 26 May 2011

Wheelchairs and Trip Planning - Google Earth

Rivers, lakes and the sea are not always the most accessible of places for wheelchairs.   There are a number of issues to consider when planning a trip.  They can often depend on whether the trip is supported or unsupported.  Nearly all paddles I've done are unsupported (Ie No support crew / car).  The three main considerations are the put in and take-out locations and any portages.

Google Earth is a brilliant tool for planning trips.  I've used it to scout out boat ramps, car parks, beaches and portage routes.

Portaging - Portages are always usually hassle.  Finding a good take-out and put in point, getting my chair out and getting over fences etc is always a bit of a nightmare.  We always try to paddle through locks where possible.  This sometimes takes a bit of lock-keeper blagging, but we've found most of them really helpful.



Transfers-  Boat ramps, baeches and pontoons are ideal, however, sometimes not possible.  I had to do some scary put ins and chair-canoe transfers on the Mississippi.  The following picture required a 'leap of faith' from my chair to the canoe after my friends had got me down a 45 degree boulder bank.



No comments:

Post a Comment